Monday 8 June 2015

GSoC 2015 Week #2 with Amarok

The second week of GSoC coding period has come to an end.

In case you haven't read my previous blog posts then I should start by saying that I am working on porting Amarok to Qt5/KF5 as part of the GSoC 2015 program under Mark Kretschmann (markey) and Myriam Schweingruber (mamarok).

So this week some of the changes that I made are as follows:
  • Changed KIcon to QIcon. If anyone is using the porting script in kde-dev-scripts for this, then be careful that the script doesn't affect the return types of the functions which previously returned an instance of KIcon. This means that if the return type of a function is KIcon then you have to change it to QIcon by yourself. Not a major inconvenience, if you ask me.
  • Added include directory of phonon (I added PHONON_INCLUDES instead of PHONON_INCLUDE_DIR) to the cmake path in which header files are searched. Adding this wasn't important before but now with Phonon4Qt5 it is important. More information can be found here.
  • I will be moving amarok to KF5::Plasma after it has been ported to use the other KF5 components because I think that porting the rest of the code demands more attention.
  • I have marked some code with "#TODO KF5" so that the work there wont be forgotten and especially to mark temporary solutions.

Though KDialog is in KDELibs4Support but the classes that previously inherited from this have changed their base class. As the usage of functions(of KDialog) from these inherited classes cause errors now so I am currently porting from KDialog to QDialog. I have to review (many)changes made by the porting script for which I have to understand their API first. So I believe this is going to take some time.

I will be pushing the commits that concern the above changes soon.

Cheers!!

P.S Happy Birthday Mamarok!

4 comments:

  1. Hi :) Great work :)
    Looking forward to see Amarok being ported to Qt5

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are seriously working hard on this :D Best of Luck !
    Shubhankar ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Shubhankar.
      I will be posting my next update of the project here in a few days :)

      Delete